Captured Moments
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ISO, aperture, shutter speed

2 posters

Go down

ISO, aperture, shutter speed Empty ISO, aperture, shutter speed

Post  rohape Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:41 am

This is always a big topic of discussion. While I am no professional, I feel a have a pretty good grasp on this. Anyone feel free to add on or challenge. Smile
ISO Adjusts your sensor's sensitivity to light. Lower it for more detailed and when you have plenty of light. Raise it as your light source gets dimmer.
Aperture The best way to explain this is visually....http://www.photoaficionado.com/situationroom/aperture.html
Shutter speed How long your shutter is open allowing your sensor to be exposed to more or less light.
I know a lot or all of anyone reading this has read a book or about this somewhere else. The best thing I can suggest is, instead of going around shooting, pick a time of day. Choose 1 subject, flip over to M, look at your settings, take a picture. Make adjustments to ISO only, take a picture. What happened?
Ok, leave your ISO alone (bright day light flip it back to 100 or your lowest setting). Go to your f/stop. Lower it all the way (2.8 etc.). Your lowest f/stop is considered "wide open". If you read the link attached to the Aperture part you'll understand.....

Seeing a trend here? Change one setting at a time, at the same shooting location at the same time. Look at what's happening to your shots. Practice, practice, practice. Make a conscious effort to focus what you've read in your books in to practice.
I really don't know how to explain how it "clicked" for me. Practice and paying attention to what was happening. I did just what I said earlier. I sat down and took about 50 shots of just one thing making changes one at a time. Went to the computer looked at the EXIF data. Read a lot, learned how to read a histogram, how to read the exposure reading on the camera. The +_|_|_0_|_|_- readout.

I hope this didn't make things more confusing for anyone and helped someone.

UPDATE: Meet Aperture. To get this thread flowing let's discuss what else we see different (not just the picture but description) besides the shutter.

F/5 ISO 100 1/200
ISO, aperture, shutter speed 3194669799_8c58e517b0

F/10 ISO 100 1/200
ISO, aperture, shutter speed 3194669805_2861defe07

F/25 ISO 200 1/400
ISO, aperture, shutter speed 3194669807_a2c300f871

Last edited by rohape on Mon May 04, 2009 10:01 am; edited 2 times in total
rohape
rohape
Amateur

http://www.phofix.smugmug.com

Back to top Go down

ISO, aperture, shutter speed Empty Re: ISO, aperture, shutter speed

Post  Susan Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:49 am

You need to be our resident teacher here!!!! LOL

I can see that the "iris" of the camera is shutting down - that's the aperture, right? Smile
Susan
Susan
Forum Coordinator

Back to top Go down

Post  rohape Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:57 am

Yep, the aperture is the size of the iris/shutter.
I noticed some very interesting things about these pictures. Hopefully we can stimulate some critical thinking and get more people talking on here. Very Happy
rohape
rohape
Amateur

Back to top Go down

Post  rohape Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:41 am

Well, I'm going to just jot down all the things I noticed on these pictures.
The DOF is crazy, look at the little piece of lint on the upper right part of the lens. How it continues to come in focus.
Even though they are all different apertures, they are all pretty consistent in their exposure. I'll just post the EXIF data next to the pictures.
Just trying to get some conversation going. Smile

Last edited by rohape on Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
rohape
rohape
Amateur

Back to top Go down

Post  Susan Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:43 am

I appreciate all you try to do. Smile
Susan
Susan