Captured Moments
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lens with Zoom

2 posters

Go down

Lens with Zoom Empty Lens with Zoom

Post  mnchic Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:06 am

Hi Girls!! We just got back from a long weekend doing a show with my mom and when I got home I was excited to see my 50mm 1.8 arrived. I love it so far! But now I have some extra money and really want to order a lens with zoom. It'd be for capturing sports shots of the kids and just for shots that require zoom. Nothing fancy.

What is your favorite zoom lens?? I have the Canon Rebel Xti with the kit lens and the 50mm.

mnchic

Back to top Go down

Lens with Zoom Empty Re: Lens with Zoom

Post  mawson Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:25 am

I only have one zoom and I like it! I can't say it is the best or whatnot, but for what I use it for (outdoor sports stuff and candids at the park) it is wonderful. It is a canon 75 (or 70) -300 IS. I think the IS is important though I do take it off at times. Without the IS the lens is about 200, with IS it usually is closer to 500. it's lowest f stop is a 3.5 or a 4, so not perfect in low light but still give s decent DOF even at 5.6.
There is a 70-200 L lens for just over 500 bucks right now. No IS. but only 500 for an L! WOW! And it is f-stop of 4. Not bad.
Anyways....if you want a zoom lens good for low light expect to pay well over 1000. You can also go with a Tamron or Sigma for less. (in the 300 range) I've no experience with them but my friend has a tamron that never leaves her camera ( I think it is a 28-300) and she loves it!
mawson
mawson

Back to top Go down

Post  mnchic Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:32 pm

Thank you!! I will look into that lens. A few others also recommended the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 so I'm trying to do some research to decide what I should get. Thanks for responding.

mnchic

Back to top Go down

Post  mawson Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:23 pm

mnchic wrote:Thank you!! I will look into that lens. A few others also recommended the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 so I'm trying to do some research to decide what I should get. Thanks for responding.
Yes, that is a great lens, and love the 2.8 aperture! It just doesn't get close enough for me for the sports I shoot. But a wonderful lens!
mawson
mawson

Back to top Go down

Post  mnchic Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:36 pm

mawson wrote:
mnchic wrote:Thank you!! I will look into that lens. A few others also recommended the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 so I'm trying to do some research to decide what I should get. Thanks for responding.
Yes, that is a great lens, and love the 2.8 aperture! It just doesn't get close enough for me for the sports I shoot. But a wonderful lens!

That is what I'm worried about the 28-75 won't get close enough for me. Hmmm its so hard to try to decide what is best for me since I'm still a beginner. LOL

mnchic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down