Captured Moments
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need lighting help!

5 posters

Go down

I need lighting help! Empty I need lighting help!

Post  TIG Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:52 am

I am trying to use natural light more, but I get some funky shadows. I have seen photos I LOVE where the subject looks really radiant in the sunlight, but I screw it up or something. Is there a secret to this?
TIG
TIG
Forum Coordinator

Back to top Go down

I need lighting help! Empty Re: I need lighting help!

Post  Mrs Appletree Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:53 pm

I will be watching this thread closly!! I am a moron when it comes to lighting (natural or flash)

I start my photography class next week so if I find anything out I will also post about it =)
Mrs Appletree
Mrs Appletree

Back to top Go down

Post  Callysta Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:42 am

You need to determine whether or not your subject is being backlit, or if they are staring "into" the sun. Mostly you can avoid shadows by taking pictures close to noon Wink Are they true sun shadows or imperfections in the film?
Callysta
Callysta

Back to top Go down

Post  mawson Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:03 am

can you post some examples?
Plus most avoid harsh mid day sun for that reason! When forced to do it I backlight, or use open shade. (like a porch, tree or overhang)
mawson
mawson

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs Appletree Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:13 am

mawson wrote:can you post some examples?
Plus most avoid harsh mid day sun for that reason! When forced to do it I backlight, or use open shade. (like a porch, tree or overhang)

my lighting issues are indoors with my flash. I want to get a better flash or lighting that won't make a huge shadow on the right side of my subjects
Mrs Appletree
Mrs Appletree

Back to top Go down

Post  mawson Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:18 am

OH, flash. I've no idea, as I don't use flash, lol! Are you using your pop up flash or an external flash? Pop ups are NOT GOOD and I avoid using mine whenever possible. To help alleviate the awful shadow with a pop up, try to distance your subject from the backgound/backdrop/wall.
You can also diffuse it by using something on it, but it will also lessen the power of the flash.
The best thing to do is learn how to use either studio lights or an external flash. With an external you can bounce it off a ceiling, etc. It takes some practice but can be done to look very natural. (don't ask me how, exactly....I don't own an external flash!)
Hope that helps!
mawson
mawson

Back to top Go down

Post  Mrs Appletree Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:23 am

mawson wrote:OH, flash. I've no idea, as I don't use flash, lol! Are you using your pop up flash or an external flash? Pop ups are NOT GOOD and I avoid using mine whenever possible. To help alleviate the awful shadow with a pop up, try to distance your subject from the backgound/backdrop/wall.
You can also diffuse it by using something on it, but it will also lessen the power of the flash.
The best thing to do is learn how to use either studio lights or an external flash. With an external you can bounce it off a ceiling, etc. It takes some practice but can be done to look very natural. (don't ask me how, exactly....I don't own an external flash!)
Hope that helps!

I am just now learning to use my camera without a flash but at night in my house I neeeeeed some kind of flash. I have no room for studio lights and honestly I am talking about shooting candids. lol! I couldn't really consider them candids if I had to set up studio lighting first Wink My pop up flash does suck! I was looking into buying a speedlite flash for my camera for those instances. My photography teacher suggested scotch tape over my flash to diffuse it a bit but I haven't tried it yet scratch
Mrs Appletree
Mrs Appletree

Back to top Go down

Post  mawson Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:46 pm

Do you shoot in really dark areas or nightime? I don't like flash, rarely use it and have figured out how to do without it in most situations. I use my 50mm 1.8 with set to shoot at 1.8, to get the most light in. I bump up my ISO to 1600. In most instances it will work fine as long as my kids are not running/moving much. (example: it works if they are seated, working on a craft, in deep thought, asleep, etc.) I use this technique often and just overshoot. Some things will be blurry but if I shoot contiuously the next few might be just fine.
Scotch tape sounds like an interesting idea! Hadn't thought of that one. Speedlights are great. I do want one! (there is a rebate on them right now too) Speedlights are a whole new learning curve!!!
As for candid and not posing them, I've found then you are always at the mercy of where they are for lighting. That is why it is great to just keep shooting and hoping they go to the "sweet light". Sometimes I do give my kids a little direction! Perhaps not true candids, but it works.
mawson
mawson

Back to top Go down

Post  tammylk Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:57 am

I just use natural light, but am wanting to get an sb600 someday.

tammylk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down