Captured Moments
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hello ladies!

3 posters

Go down

hello ladies! Empty hello ladies!

Post  dragonfly570 Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:24 pm

I'm here, armed with my new Nikon D40 and yup, that's right, I'm clueless! Other than auto, I don't know how to use the thing! I did figure out how to switch lenses though Wink

Anyway, I hope ya'll have patience and are willing to help me out. Anywhere else I go, they throw around words like iso, exposure, blah blah blah. Nope, don't know what any of those mean........YET! So, I need people willing to help me and break down 5 yr old style geek

Whose with me? No Anyone?????

*sorry I'm in a rare mood here, not quite sure why*

dragonfly570 (crystal)

dragonfly570

Back to top Go down

hello ladies! Empty Re: hello ladies!

Post  rohape Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:25 pm

Welcome! We speak 5 yr. old here. Very Happy

ISO: International Standards Organization (Just the group of people who came up the numbering system)
Your ISO determines how sensitive your sensor is to light. The higher the number the more sensitive. Usually used in lower light situations with no flash. All my pictures on my flickr SC Aquarium set are all ISO 400 and higher.

Aperture: See my exposure thread here -->https://capturedmoments.forumotion.com/cameras-lenses-and-lighting-oh-my-f5/iso-aperture-shutter-speed-t139.htm
Think of aperture as your eyes iris. Constrict it in higher light to let less light in, expand it to let more light in during lower light scenarios. I won't get too crazy yet talking about Depth of Field (DOF) and your aperture.

I just wrote all this and realized the title of my thread ISO, aperture, shutter speed
Kind of hits the points. Very Happy

Oh yeah. Who you callin' a LADY!? Wink Very Happy
rohape
rohape
Amateur

http://www.phofix.smugmug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sunny4days Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:33 am

HI Crystal!! I'm new here too but I saw your thread on GF and tried to reply when my computer crashed! I'm a total newbie at this but I think the book that you posted on GF Understanding exposure will help answer most of your questions. I also bought The digtal photography book by Scott Kelby and The Betterphoto guide to digital photography by Jim Miotke to get me started. I don't have SLR though my dh won't let me get one until I mastered the manual settings on a cheaper camera so I got a Canon sx10is. Good Luck!!

sunny4days

Back to top Go down

Post  rohape Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:42 am

The SX10 is a good camera! Of course it's a great camera, it's a Canon. Very Happy There is tons you can do with it. I learned the same way on my A520.
Good luck learning. Smile
rohape
rohape
Amateur

http://www.phofix.smugmug.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum