Captured Moments
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On a Budget.. and for those just starting out. What do you think are MUST HAVES???

2 posters

Go down

On a Budget.. and for those just starting out. What do you think are MUST HAVES??? Empty On a Budget.. and for those just starting out. What do you think are MUST HAVES???

Post  M*A*C Tue May 05, 2009 10:07 pm

Such as a tripod, filters, things like that???
M*A*C
M*A*C

Back to top Go down

On a Budget.. and for those just starting out. What do you think are MUST HAVES??? Empty Re: On a Budget.. and for those just starting out. What do you think are MUST HAVES???

Post  rohape Tue May 05, 2009 10:13 pm

Depends what your shooting.
Simple things first.
I have UV filters on all my lenses. This is just a protection practice. 3yr olds have fast sticky fingers. Smile
Lenspen!
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/507196-REG/Pearstone_LENLP1_LP_1_Lens_Pen_Black_.html
rohape
rohape
Amateur

http://www.phofix.smugmug.com

Back to top Go down

On a Budget.. and for those just starting out. What do you think are MUST HAVES??? Empty Re: On a Budget.. and for those just starting out. What do you think are MUST HAVES???

Post  M*A*C Wed May 06, 2009 3:55 am

I suppose my girls will be the most things I'll be shooting. But enjoy shoting all kinds of things. As you can see from me taking pics of DH. Razz
M*A*C
M*A*C

Back to top Go down

Post  rohape Wed May 06, 2009 4:06 am

I don't think you'll get much use out of a tripod. They're mainly when you need to keep steady and have a subject that will remain still for a while.
Since you have a Nikon I won't try to sell off my 28-105mm USM so I can get my 100-300mm USM. Very Happy
I would recommend a decent zoom range. The 28-105mm for me is great for my backyard shots. I can go wide quickly or zoom quickly without physically moving.
Image Stabilization really is essential if your using a big zoom with slow shutter speeds. A good rule of thumb is that your shutter speed should be no slower than your focal length to reduce camera shake. IS can help though. I would go with a lens that has good AF. Canon has USM - Ultra-Sonic Motor, Tamron has HSM - High Speed Motor. Not sure what Nikon has.
If you need to zoom in farther just remember you can crop in on a shot as well.
rohape
rohape
Amateur

Back to top Go down

Post  M*A*C Wed May 06, 2009 4:33 am

As far as lenses go, I'm looking at getting the 55-200mm Lens. But not right now. I did find some on craigslist, but not sure if I should go that route... I hope you don't mind all the questions. I'm all over the place on here!!!
M*A*C
M*A*C

Back to top Go down

Post  rohape Wed May 06, 2009 5:09 am

Not at all. I was all over the place with questions at first too. Smile
When you get to a zoom range your looking for do some searches and reviews. You can also go to flickr and do a search for that lens and see sample pictures. Some even do specific examples of focal length on one subject.
rohape
rohape
Amateur

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum